Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Right to lifence plate

So, there I was. Minding my own business. Driving down I-95 through Westport having a perfectly fine day. As I approach the slow moving vehicle ahead of me, I catch a glimpse of the license plate.
What's the deal with that? I almost rear-ended the woman. Not so much as a political statement, but in my horror I forgot all about driving. These plates have been around for a while, somehow I just hadn't noticed. And, I must have missed Bill O'Reilley's feature story.

Some quick research revealed that fund-adoption.org has sponsored these plates in NY, NJ, and CT. Mississippi seems to be next on their list. They've done much of this work with funding from various anti-abortion groups and (I believe, but can't prove) the Catholic church. Certainly I'm a strong supporter of adoption. But, this specialty plate is merely a mechanism for the right to have the state DMVs do their fundraising work.

Now, here's where it really raises my level of pissedoffedness (if that's not a word yet, I'm sure Steven Colbert can work on it for me.) In NY and NJ, fund-adoption.org faced numerous legal challenges and even had to sue Gov. Pataki before they were able to get their opinion stamped on a license plate. This is in ironic contrast to my wonderfully blue home state of Connecticut, where it seems they faced nary a challenge. Thank you Ex-Governer and convicted felon Rowland.

Given the legal decisions to date, it seems unlikely that production of these offensive license plates can be stopped. So, I'll try Plan B (pun intended). I searched the Connecticut DMV site and can't seem to find information on how to propose a new plate design. Nonetheless, I am officially starting my campaign to create a Pro-Choice license plate. Please contact me to add your name to the list of supporters. Suggestions for a graphic are welcome as well.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Continental Op said...

These plates are really annoying. At least these also urge something positive. Lots of other states have "Choose Life" plates without any reference to adoption.

I love the idea of a "pro choice" plate. I suspect that Planned Parenthood or similar groups may have tried this too. At the very least, I'd imagine they'd be interested in your effort.

Personally, the only special plate I'd want is "Trout Unlimited", which a few states offer. But Mrs. Op has vetoed that!

11:49 PM  
Blogger The Continental Op said...

Ever drive behind one of those people with a sticker or license plate frame that says "In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned?" Now there's someone you really don't want to be anywhere near on the road!

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would hope that Cont. op. would consider choosing life as "something positive" in and of itself--this would be the case regardless of whether adoption is involved. Just imagine if con op's parents thought differently...

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home