Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Relay for Life

Last year I participated in Relay for Life, which is an amazing national annual event to raise money and awareness for cancer research. Along with some friends and family we organized a team of about 30 people, which joined hundred of others for our local Relay here in Fairfield. I have set a personal goal to raise at least $1,000 this year from my blog readers, and hopefully more. If each of you contributes $25-50, we cean rach $1,000 in no time. Please visit my personal Relay for Life page to make your donation. There is also information below if you would like to participate with us in this year's event. Please read on for more information.


Our team from 2005

This year, cancer will strike more than 1.3 million Americans and take more than half a million lives. My family has been touched by cancer too many time, making this is a very personal cause for me. Two years ago we lost my mother to Lung cancer. My wife Pamela's two sisters are both breast cancer survivors. Based on her family and genetic history, Pamela herself faces an 80% lifetime risk of breast cancer. As friends and family, we can do something to save lives and help those already fighting this disease. That’s why I’m taking action against cancer by supporting the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life® in Fairfield, CT.
<>Relay is an overnight event that unites our community in a common effort to support the American Cancer Society’s lifesaving mission to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. The Society works every day to prevent cancer and save lives by supporting groundbreaking research, affecting public policies that protect us from cancer, and educating people on how to prevent or detect cancer early. The Society helps people in our community who have cancer through its many programs and services. Together, we can help the American Cancer Society accelerate the progress toward a cancer-free future.

I hope you’ll be able to join us for this year’s event. Please click on the link below for more information, including details on the inspirational Survivors’ Lap and the moving Luminaria Ceremony. If you can’t join us, will you please visit my personal Relay for Life page and make a donation to support our efforts? Either way, you will make a real difference in the lives of people facing cancer – and in the lives of the people who love them. Thank you!

Please follow this link to visit my personal Relay for Life page and make your donation.

If you would like to participate with us in Fairfield, CT, you are invited to join our team, Life Beats Cancer. Please follow this link and select Join our Team.

For state fundraising notices and the American Cancer Society’s privacy policy, please paste this link into your browser: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/SU/su_0.asp

Please forward a link to this page to others that might be interested in participating or willing to make a contribution. Thank you for your support.

3 Comments:

Blogger cgg said...

Thank you for doing this. As you know I've recently lost two close friends to cancer. I've already given money to another participant, but wanted to express my appreciation anyway.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Dom said...

Hello my name is Dominic Rizzi. I am the chair for my Relay for Life in San Jose, CA at San Jose State University. I was a browsing blogger and scrolled across your page. Two Words: THANK YOU!

We recently had our 2nd annual Relay at our College Campus and raised $8500 with 14 teams and 7 survivors.

This was my 7th relay and 2nd organizing. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I often speak at relays describing "why I relay" and sharing my relay story. I have been fortunate enough to have not been touched by cancer with in my immediate family. My reason to relay is to help those who can not help themselves and that we the healthy have an obligation to heal the sick.

To see so many teams and a team the size and have the dedication of ours inspires me ever more to continue my dedication with the American Cancer Society. Thank you.

Best of luck and have a great time at your relay! Congradulations.

-Dom

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. This will be my 9th relay this year. My team captin is my 13 year old couisn who will celebrate 9 years of remission this year. EVERYONE knows someone who has been touched.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home