Friday, June 02, 2006

Hallelujah!

Considering we barely spoke for the first 20 years of our lives, it's remarkable the things my brother and I have found in common as adults. I've admired his taste in music for many years and he has introduced me to some great songs and artists. But until this post today at Reports from Poisonville, I didn't know we shared this one among our favorite songs.

Hallelujah! was written by Leonard Cohen and has been recorded/performed by many others. I didn't realize quite how many before seeing this list at My Old Kentucky Blog. Ironically, until today I don't think I ever heard Cohen's own recording of the song. The version most of you have probably heard was performed by Rufus Wainwright for the Shrek soundtrack.

You may have also heard K.D. Lang's recording from Hymns of the 49th Parallel. If not, this CD, which pays homage to Canadian songwriters is certainly worth adding to your collection. The recent season finale of The OC features an a capella rendition of Hallelujah! by Imogen Heap; I don't love this version, but it's nice to know that Fox is exposing the kids to some quality music (I'm a few episodes behind, so the finale's still on the Tivo.) I haven't listened to them all yet, so I can't yet say which is my favorite.

Happy listening!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Continental Op said...

It's not quite true that we barely spoke. As I recall, we had frequent conversations along the lines of "get the hell out of my room". OK, they were pretty one-sided conversations ...

I was thinking that one artist whose version of Hallelujah I'd like to hear, but I'm pretty sure she's not done it, is your old flatmate Ani. No doubt she'd do something interesting with it.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do yourself a favor and be sure and listen to John Cale's very emotional version of this song. In case you don't know him, he was part of the original Velvet Underground after having been a classically trained musician (viola) who showed great promise. He's a very intense performer and this version gives me goose bumps.

11:28 PM  
Blogger The Continental Op said...

Cale's version is my favorite. LC's own recording is a close second; his gravelly voice really fits with the notion of a "broken Hallelujah".

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home